Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Power of a Wish

Did you ever hear the phrase, “Be careful what you wish for? You just might get it?”

Wishes are powerful.  I know this first hand. 

I have had what many would call a charmed life.  Loving parents, a fabulous education, friends, hobbies – nothing that I have wanted has been too far out of reach.  And probably because I didn’t have to work too hard at anything, I never really tried to figure out what I was meant to do, or meant to be.

By the time I hit 40, I had a leadership role at a respected ad agency, a huge condo, all the trappings of success, but I was miserable, unfulfilled and bored - disconnected from any sense of purpose.  And so I made a wish.  I wished that there was a way that I could make a six-figure salary, and just lay on the couch, reading books, watching TV, not having to go to work every day and not having to recognize that I was unfulfilled.

On July 5th 2007, my wish came true.  The phone rang and the voice on the other end of the call said, “You have cancer.”  Within a month, I was too ill from chemo to do much more than lay on the couch, reading books, watching TV, and since my agency didn’t have a medical leave policy and had to pay me, my wish was complete.

The universe will always give us what we ask for, without judgment, and I am so grateful that my wish came true.  Because now that I know how incredibly powerful I am, I have a new wish.  I wish to live a life full of meaning and purpose, a life which connects me to people, a life in which I can use what I know to help others wish wisely, and make their wishes come true.

Today, July 5th 2012, I take the first step in granting my own wish.  I am announcing the launch of my coaching practice.  I am The Cancer Coach and my wish is to empower Cancer Survivors to make their wishes come true.  Whether it’s to better manage the demands of treatment, to achieve balance and wellness, to improve relationships and connections to others, or to start down a path paved with meaning and fulfillment, I’m here.

So I ask you  - What do you wish for?  I would love to help you grant your own wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment