Monday, July 16, 2012

The Waiting is the Hardest Part


My parents have three rules that they have constantly reviewed with my nieces, since each was old enough to talk:

Rule #1 – Patience
Rule #2 – No whining
Rule #3 – Patience

Those can be difficult rules for a six year old to follow, and I confess, they are equally as difficult for me.  I have been known as the least patient person on the planet.  Seriously.  Ask my mom.  When I decide what I want -  I just want it now.  Veruca Salt has nothing on me!

Well guess what?  Cancer, cancer treatment and recovery all have their own agendas and their own timelines.   When I started chemo, the nurses told me the exact date that I would lose my hair.  I immediately calculated the date at which it would start to grow back.  I started chemo in July, and knew I would finish in December and in the beginning I would lay in bed and calculate how long my hair would be come January, come March, come May…I burned a lot of time waiting for my hair.

That was a long, hard wait for someone as impatient as I was to feel and look ‘normal’ again, and what I finally realized was, the wait (or as I came to call it – Hair Watch ’08) was teaching me a very important lesson about patience.   Waiting for my hair to come back gave me time to confront my beliefs about how I looked, about what was normal, about whether or not I could see my true beauty without the trappings.  I won’t say that it’s always easy – I am a woman after all – but that time of waiting and reflection helps me to look at my post cancer body, scarred, a little bit chubby and menopausal though it may be as something strong and beautiful.  I still struggle with patience, but I remind myself that things happen in their own time, and if I can release a bit of control, I can learn something amazing while I wait.

And yes, my hair is back in all its glory, long and thick and shiny.  And in January, on the fifth anniversary of my surgery, I plan to cut it off and donate it to someone who is laying in bed, waiting for her hair to grow back.

1 comment:

  1. I had NO IDEA this is what you were doing! I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad that you are doing so well with letting go. Waiting is so very hard...and it only gets harder the further along this journey we travel. Of course, once we truly make peace with how little is in our control, it does get easier.

    Mazal tov on coming up to 5 years!

    ReplyDelete